Churches were responsible for many years for the care of the poor and maintenance of roads etc but in 1894 an Act of Parliament created civil parishes for villages. One of the first tasks for Little Somerford Parish Council was the purchase of a table and chairs for their meetings held in the school and also the appointment of a lamplighter to look after the street lights during the winter months.
When more room was needed in the churchyard, the Parish Council was responsible for the running of the new cemetery. The “Register of Burials in the Burial Ground of Somerford Parva” records the first burial in January 1893 and also gives some idea of what it was like to live in the village. The new name of “Little Somerford” was recorded for the first time in the Register in October 1930.
The Children’s Funeral Fund for England can help to pay for some of the costs of a funeral for a child under 18 and more information on this can be found at this link.
This link to help you find a Funeral Director in the local area might also be useful.